Directions to Skilts School   -   For sat nav purposes, please enter   

B98 9EN  

    SEND Information and Local Offer

    From September 2014, all schools are expected to publish information about their provision for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This includes the 'Local Offer', which helps parents/carers understand what services they and their families can expect from a range of local agencies.




    Contact details

    Mr Dominic Crompton


    01527 853851 Ext: 202

    Mr Graham Walmsley

    Deputy Headteacher

    01527 853851: Ext 203

    Miss Clare Redman

    Assistant Headteacher

    01527 853851 Ext 209

    Mr Tony Pridding

    Head of Care and Designated Safe Guard Lead

    01527 853851: Ext 210

    Miss Tracy Handley

    Parent Support Advisor

    01527 853851:Ext 212

    Frequently Asked Questions

    1) What kinds of Special educational Needs does the school make provision for? What type of provision make and how do they know it works?

    Types of need

    Examples of support in our school

    How we check it is working

    Social emotional and mental health difficulties

    Small classes.

    High adult to pupil ratios.

    Personalised targets for pupils.

    Experienced staff team

    Input from other professionals

    Regular assessments of personal targets

    Review of Statements/EHCP

    Personalised targets and planning for individuals.

    Staff evaluations of training

    Many of our pupils have medical diagnoses including ADHD and ASC which impact on their responses and behaviour.

    2) How does the School identify and assess Special Educational Needs?

    All our pupils have SEND and either Statements of Special Educational Need or Education Health and Care Plan.

    You can access our SEND Policy from the website.

    3) How do the School know how much progress is being made with pupils with Special Educational Needs?

    We have robust systems of baseline assessments, recording data, target setting and tracking of progress in place. Targeted intervention is in place for all pupils who we feel are making less than expected progress. Our targets are set in line with national expectations for pupils, taking account of their SEND.

    4) Does the School have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?

    As a Special School all staff are aware of the requirements to meet the needs of young people with SEND.  The Deputy Headteacher is named as the SENCo.

    5) What training does the staff in school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?

    Many of our teachers and support staff have a great deal of experience working with children with SEND. For staff who are new to the school we offer induction and training including Manual Handling and behaviour management. For all our staff we have a schedule of training across the year.

    6) How does school get more specialist help for pupils if they need it?

    Within school we have access to a team of professionals who can offer specialist advice, these include speech and language therapists, police, family support workers and the school nurse. We work very closely with all the professionals as well as parents to ensure we offer the best provision. We will also contact other agencies, as appropriate, for example; Social Care and Health, Educational Psychologists and the Communication and Autism Team.

    7) How are parents of children and young people with SEND involved in the education of their child?

    We meet with parents as often as necessary to ensure that they are happy with the education their children are receiving.

    8) How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

    Wherever possible we will include our pupils in their education by encouraging them to participate in review meetings, whether that is by talking with them outside of the meeting to ascertain their views or by them taking part in the meeting itself.

    We also have a student council who meet regularly and have the opportunity to influence decisions.

    9) If a parent or a child with SEND has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?

    We have a complaints policy. In the first instance we would encourage parents to contact the Head teacher or the Deputy head to discuss the complaint.

    10) How does the Governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs including support for their families?

    There is a strong team of pastoral staff who work closely with children and families to ensure that the needs of the children are met.

    11) Who are the support services that can help parents with pupils who have special educational needs?

    Parent Partnership services are available to help parents through the assessment process and can also help facilitate school visits and offer advice. SENAR are the department within the LA who manage the assessment process.

    There are several parent support groups in Birmingham who offer support and guidance, a number of these organisations have parents of children with SEND who work with them. The school has developed a support group through the work of the parent support advisor

    12) How do the school support pupils with SEND through Transition?

    The arrangements for transition vary dependent on the developmental stage the pupils are at. On entry to school the transition is planned on an individual basis with the family.  This usually includes an informal visit by parents, an observation at the current school placement and a formal visit to school with the pupil.  We offer two induction days for September starters.  Arrangements for pupils who start at other times of the year are made on an individual basis.

    If a pupil is coming to us from a different school, we will always try to visit them in their current setting and if possible attend their final review.

    14) How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authorities Local Offer?

    Birmingham’s Local offer can be found on the My Care in Birmingham website (external link).